9.09.2010

Still Disagreeing with the Consensus View

I'm think about burning a Koran.

Here's a sampling of headlines from Drudge Report:
PASTOR: KORAN WILL BURN...
'Meant to Be a Warning'...
AP WON'T DISTRIBUTE IMAGES, AUDIO...
FOX NEWS WON'T COVER, EITHER..
Church website shut down...
FBI PAYS PASTOR A VISIT...
Obama says call it off...
Then sends 'best wishes' to Muslims worldwide...
Vatican: 'Outrageous'...
NYPD: 'Dangerous'...
Holder: 'Idiotic'...
Clinton: 'Disgraceful'...
Palin: 'Unnecessary provocation'...
FBI: Retaliation 'Likely'...
I remember a few years ago when I was at a bonfire and whipped out a dollar bill and set it on fire, and then another few of them -- all of the American idolaters around me just about lost their minds: "That's a felony!" "Are you insane?!" And I'll definitely burn a Bible as kindling before throwing the Koran on the pile. Only the Buddhists wouldn't object (all things are on fire), and even those f*ckers are starting to get stupid about it (anybody see the documentary about the destroyed Buddhas of Bamyan?). Same goes for anybody who would do any violence for "Holy Land." It's all stuff, stuff!

It's not like it's actually burning Allah. I mean Jesus Christ. Paper and ink, people. And don't call me a hypocrite, because I'm not a "Christian," at least in any sense of the word that's generally understood. And even if I were!!! [I secretly am]--I'm currently reading Camus' (equivalent of a) master's thesis, titled Christian Metaphysics and Neoplatonism, and he makes the very interesting point that early Christians were intentionally, doggedly, unlearned in all of the contemporary supposed-wisdom of their day. If they had been educated in a Greek tradition, they threw away all of their books and stopped speculating when they converted to Christianity. Indeed, legend has it that St. (that is, SAINT!) Cyril was the one who burned down the Library of Alexandria, so there's a long and honorable tradition of book burning within even the most ancient version of Christianity. Have we all forgotten the images of burning American human soldiers hanging from a bridge somewhere in Iraq or Afghanistan or wherever?

I'll burn whatever the f*ck I want. Your mom's house, if I want. Well no, that's private property, which is the basis of civil society. :)

Somebody's gonna learn a lesson here. Either it's Americans, and the lesson is not to burn holy books from other countries or cultures. Or it's extremist Muslims and the lesson is... "we'll burn whatever the hell we want to burn. Shut up."

Somebody explain to me the difference in offensiveness between the two videos below.





P.S. -- it's a wonder to me that I don't get more readers at this blog. It's such an ongoing masterpiece. Probably, like Melville, I'll be forgotten until after I die, and then I'll be rediscovered by some 22nd century scholar and hailed as the prophet of a new era of thought and culture.

1 comment:

Casey said...

And I'll burn this post, too! I swear. This story is making me wild with the way it's making dancing-nancy liberals piss their pants. "Oh, they burned books before the holocaust too." Give me a fuckin' break. I really wish I could hold a huge bonfire and burn some books without losing my job... I'd love to call ABC news and have them come watch, and have them ask me, "But sir, aren't you concerned about the feelings of those you're offending?"

Me: "Those who are offended by this are waaaay too sensitive, and need to loosen the hell up."

And then I'd grab their expensive camera and throw it on the fire too. Oh, that'd be awesome.