8.04.2010

Knowing when to Assent

I love when people have the courage to deliver a sermon without planning it. It happens too seldom. While I was on vacation, I found on a beach at sunset myself listening to my sister-in-law--a 27-year old who has traveled around much of the world and who is getting certified to be a Yoga instructor--preach about how to make things right. She said something like this:
It's not about what the religion is called, or even about whether you call God "God" or "Allah," or whether you learn about God through the Bible or Yoga or meditation; people need to stop worrying about how other people do it. We all need to realize that there are many paths, and that they all may lead to that holy end. Too many people want to divide-off into "us" and "them," and say that others are doing it wrong, and advocate for their way.
Then, undermining her passion and making a mockery out of her speech, I said,
Or do "we" need to accept even those who divide themselves off, and accept even those who claim the Bible is the only way, and accept that we are only a meaningful "we" if there is no "they?"
But looking back on it, remembering how I and my sister-in-law and a friend of hers and my wife and daughter and mother-in-law and step-father-in-law--how we all were just sitting there drinking beer with our toes in the sand, getting chilly in the summer as the sun set behind us and the waves grew tired in front of us... I wish I had said nothing, or even nodded in quiet agreement.

3 comments:

Insignificant Wrangler said...

Wow big guy.

I think the picture says it all.

Monica said...

Ah, the difficulty of knowing when to assent. I get it. But it's even more difficult to recognize the difficulty. But, see? Now we're back to where you started, but this time I am the one who cannot assent.

Casey said...

I agree, Monica! ;)