6.28.2010

"Talk Not to me of Blasphemy, Man"

I wonder if I should shut this venue down again, at least for a while. I became conscious this weekend of just how compromised my perspective has become since becoming a father. You really should have trusted me before--I was a reliable and decent person, whose seeking was an earnest effort to make the world better for all, and not just myself. Sift through the archives, friends. I was a prophet then, a bona fide soothsayer. I had your interests in my heart.

Now, after this...

...I don't give two cents about "Ethics" or "Justice." If keeping all of Africa impoverished means my daughter can have a better life, then fine. Or, conversely, if bolstering Africa with aid makes my daughter's life better, then fine. But don't talk to me of Justice, man. I'm a rogue nation. I might even be lying right now, right to your Face.

Don't ever elect me to public office. That's all I'm saying.

6 comments:

pure_sophist_monster said...

Just about "ditto" on this one.

Insignificant Wrangler said...

But could you lie to her face?

Casey said...

Ooooh. Good question, Wrangler. Haven't had to yet...

Jon Sealy said...

I thought of this post as I was reading Notes from the Underground this morning. Our underground man says, "Once it's proved to you that, essentially speaking, one little drop of your own fat should be dearer to you than a hundred thousand of your fellow men, and that in this result all so-called virtues and obligations and other ravings and prejudices will finally be resolved, go ahead and accept it, there's nothing to be done, because two times two is -- mathematics. Try objecting to that."

Casey said...

"...but what do I care about the laws of nature and arithmetic if for some reason these laws and two times two is four are not to my liking?"

;)

fenhopper said...

but if i'm convinced that your beliefs about your daughter's best interests are likely to accompany my child's best interests, shouldn't i vote for you if i'm not willing to run?