6.29.2010

Now I understand why I've been practicing my sharpshooting on Call of Duty so obsessively for the past couple years... hope it translates into reality

So now, despite the fact that I'm unwilling to get involved, I find observing this intellectual struggle between Paul Krugman and Niall Ferguson very entertaining. Listen to Ferguson's latest interview, in which he argues that "it's all on the line for America."

I honestly don't know, but I really hope the empire doesn't collapse in my lifetime or my daughter's... when hoarding gunpowder and eating squirrels becomes the norm, I just don't know what my role will be.

[Fortunately, yesterday the number 3:10 recurred in my life a few times (miles driven, the cost of a purchase, etc.), and so at night, I opened my Bible, which was bookmarked at the beginning of Revelation, and I read to 3:10, sort of looking to see what my verse would be. Here's what it said: "Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come upon the whole world to test those who live on the earth."]

So, whew!

3 comments:

Jon Sealy said...

Did you read The Road yet? Blood Meridian?

Casey said...

I read The Road. And last month I looked, specifically, for Blood Meridian at a good bookstore, and they didn't have it... I'll just get it from Amazon soon.

I liked The Road, but I also think it missed an opportunity to hint at a "resurrection" shift after the collapse... not that there's anything wrong with bleak pessimism, but as a Romantic, it didn't quite vibrate me at the same frequency.

But Blood Meridian's near the top of my list--hopefully before Thanksgiving.

Jon Sealy said...

Blood Meridian is even more bleak pessimism. I'm telling you, it will change the way you think about the world (for better or worse).

Look, if saying it's the 20th century Moby-Dick doesn't convince you, I don't know what will. To muddle the waters, I will say this: a friend of mine visited a Navy SEAL training facility, and said they have a quote from Blood Meridian on the wall, something about the necessity of war.

So there.