3.15.2010

Test Case No. 2

A bill is under consideration in New York that would make cooking with salt illegal in restaurants. The bill, proposed by Felix Ortiz (D), might be justified by an appeal to the greater good.
"In this way, consumers have more control over the amount of sodium they intake, and are given the option to exercise healthier diets and healthier lifestyles," Ortiz said, according to a Nation's Restaurant News report.

But many chefs and restaurant owners said they are tired of politicians dictating what they can serve and what people can eat. They have opposed the city's anti-sodium and anti-transfat campaigns.
Predictably, conservatives rankle.

So... how should we vote? For or against? Good or bad? Yes or no? It certainly might cut down on healthcare costs, which will soon be public costs. [I'm with Elizabeth Alexander, for the record, saying only, "What if the mightiest word is love?"]

2 comments:

Insignificant Wrangler said...

I had to read the article twice to make sure this isn't a joke. I remember balking back at the "slippery slope" argument in high school; you know, "first the government takes away pot, then booze, then cigarettes, and what's next? Red Meat!" Ok, so it wasn't read meat, it was salt.

Seriously?

Casey said...

I know. Is this really happening? But, as I've hinted, I'm resigning myself to "whatever happens," because I'm tired of swimming upstream. Long live the Democrats!