11.02.2009

Trust Yourself, Man!

True to my word, I've been thinking about Self lately. I stumbled upon something interesting: a "modern-English" translation of Ralph Waldo Emerson's essay, "Self-Reliance."

I'm not particularly troubled by this (although, for the record, this isn't a great translation). In fact I think it's neat. I've been arguing for years that my teachers who tell me that Shakespeare wrote in "Modern English" are either crazy or lying. It's time somebody translates the complete works of Shakespeare into "Post-modern" English (or whatever).

2 comments:

Wishydig said...

well it's better to say that he wrote in Early Modern English. but then most literature teachers don't know much about language and its history.

Casey said...

What about Emerson? Also "Early Modern?" Or just "Modern?"