9.09.2009

I'm for Healthcare Reform

Two and a half glasses of wine and almost an hour into Obama's speech, I am stunned at how effective the pathetic appeal can be. And I say: why not? Forget about paying attention to logos for once -- dare to act on nothing but raw gut instinct. I love it.

So while my liberal friends are saying crazy things, pretending to desire to hear a conservative say "screw the poor," I wish I could hear -- just for once -- an explicit admission that we're going to head off into the forest in the dark now... we have no idea what the hell will happen, but maybe it'll be better. That's what we're basing policy on. Scared? Tough crap. We're gonna try it!!!

That's how I hope this bill passes, if it does -- because Maggie McGee in Missouri's insurance screwed her over for not reporting an acne problem. Because you know what, that hasn't happened to me, but I'm with Maggie McGee! To hell with "federal deficits" and "equal treatment under the law" and all your other slippery-slope arguments. Forget about whether we can afford it or not, and who will shoulder the cost. This is about love, man, and you're either with us, or you're against us.

[BTW: I was reading Henry James' The American during most of the speech, and only watched the last four minutes and listened to NBC's commentary afterwards.]

2 comments:

Mark said...

You sound annoyed. Don't worry. At some point our credit rating will suffer and the Chinese will stop lending. Then it will be interesting to see what happens when we're stuck with huge amounts of mandatory budget items which we cannot continue paying.

Interesting -- because I don't think anyone really knows what will happen. Like you said, I wish that the democrats would as least concede that we are headed into unknown as we plumb new levels of debt, living way way way beyond our national means. Democrats say that the huge Obama deficits are not a big deal because we had them before after the war and we were able to recover. The difference is that back then, the huge government spending was on the military. Cut defense spending and problem solved. With these new entitlements, no such easy cuts are possible.

So what do you think will happen?

Casey said...

Well, no -- I wasn't annoyed when I wrote that. I was being sort of serious: I would get on board if someone on the left would simply admit that there's no science to this, no guarantees about how any reform will turn out... just admit that it's a shot in the dark.

What do I think will happen? I think the Sadducees and the Pharisees will keep doing their thing and almost everyone will ride in one of those boats--