3.15.2009

Beware, and... Beware, and... Beware

This morning I woke up next to my better half who rolled over and giggled: "I just had a dream about you," she said. "All I can remember is that you said, 'The brain is like a metaphor,' and that made me laugh."

And I said, "Wow. Why would you laugh? That's an awesome thing to say."

And then she said, "No it's not. It doesn't make any sense."

So then I explained to her how awesome it was (I'll spare you the details) and as she began to understand, she said, "Well, you don't deserve the credit for it anyway -- it was my dream."

But then I said, "Now wait a minute. It was your dream. But it came out of my mouth in your dream, and I think you know me pretty well -- and you admitted that dream-you laughed at what dream-Casey said. So I think I kinda do deserve credit for that little gem. I just think maybe you're finally starting to understand what I'm sayin'."

But wouldn't you know it: this just made my wife laugh. When she really wakes up--I mean, really "wakes" "up"--I'm not going to let her take credit for that profound explanation coming out of my mouth any more than I let her take credit for the gem about the brain as a metaphor... that is, if "I" am there to argue the point.

Anyway, before I get to the Federalist Papers as religious documents, I thought I'd remind myself of what the guy on the Brooklyn Bridge said in Waking Life: "As one realizes that one is a dream figure in another person's dream... that is self-awareness."

No comments: