1.14.2009

Re: Bizarro-Jesus

The New York Times did an unnecessary piece on "the cussing pastor" (I hate him already), Mark Driscoll. Unable to stop myself before it was too late, I read his wikipedia page, focusing on the quotes near the bottom. Here's one fine example:

Some emergent types recast Jesus as a limp-wrist hippie in a dress with a lot of product in His hair, who drank decaf and made pithy Zen statements about life while shopping for the perfect pair of shoes. In Revelation, Jesus is a prize fighter with a tattoo down His leg, a sword in His hand and the commitment to make someone bleed. That is a guy I can worship. I cannot worship the hippie, diaper, halo Christ because I cannot worship a guy I can beat up.
That's exactly the problem, in my view. I can't think of a better summary of what I don't believe than this little paragraph... [Insert ironic take on Bruce Willis in Die Hard vs. Jesus here for good measure.]

4 comments:

fenhopper said...

i agree. completely. a friend of mine once posted a blog entry (a series actually) in which he discussed his rejection of some christian views of G-d. among them was the view that a forgiving god is a weak god that can be taken advantage of and that can't really be impressive.

it's a value system i don't share i guess. vulnerability is accepted as an absolute truth. and pride dictates the value of character.

one of my favorite scenes (told secondhand) in literature is the fight between robert cohn and pedro romero in the sun also rises. cohn could 'beat up' romero but he's unwilling to kill him. and romero's persistence in the fight, even when physically dominated, shatters cohn who finds that he isn't relying on physical prowess to settle the hierarchy, he's relying on romero's surrender.

the argument that jesus has to be violent and rigid and physically powerful is childish and boring.

Mxrk said...

Casey, everything you previously thought is a lie:

http://io9.com/5130669/another-stonehenge-discovered-under-lake-michigan

[again!]

fenhopper said...

looks like another hoax just like jesus in a grass stain and global warming.

Casey said...

AWESOME!!!!!!!

This changes everything, Mxrk.