1.06.2009

"But aren't it all a sham?"

Over break, due to some peculiar circumstances, I had a lot of time to think about this sentence:
Only a Christ could have conceived a Christ.
It comes from Joseph Parker, from a book titled Ecce Deus (1867). I found it in a book of collected wisdom and aphorisms. I deduced that Parker was suggesting that it hardly matters whether the story of Jesus is a true history or a fabrication. Here's the extended quote, which did not appear in the book of wisdom and aphorisms:
It is an affront to common sense that it is an imaginary sketch; but even if it be, what then? The problem is not solved; for as only a poet can write a poem, so only a Christ could have conceived a Christ.
I guess I think Parker's making a good point here. Can we imagine psychological depths & heights that we have not plumbed or scaled ourself? The other day I asked my wife, a poet, why she never writes about herself. She replied, "Everything I write is about me--how could it be otherwise?"

So maybe we imagine a 1st-century writing contest where the writer of the Q-Gospel dreamed the whole story of Jesus up. It certainly shifts our focus (from the "character" to the author), but would it diminish our wonder?

3 comments:

fenhopper said...

did she really say "how could it be otherwise?"

does she talk that way?

Casey said...

Of course not -- wouldn't it be awesome if she did, tho?

fenhopper said...

anytime my wife tells me to get her a small fries from mcdonalds she adds 'for it shall be so'

not really