12.03.2008

Sweet Playlist, Dude

Before I get to my four follow-ups to yesterday's post on the usefulness of mystical/psychotic-experience, I thought I'd drop an earnest crumb along the tr-th-trail. For a long time, I haven't been able to admit that these are some of my favorite songs, but they really really are (links provided):
1. Carry on my Wayward Son, Kansas
2. Blinded by the Light (long version), Manfred Mann
3. Wheel in the Sky, Journey
4. Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This), The Eurythmics
5. Lady, Styx
6. Sweet Child O' Mine, Guns N' Roses
7. Fat Bottomed Girls, Queen
8. Lonesome Loser, Little River Band
9. Peace of Mind, Boston
10. Nothin' But a Good Time, Poison
It feels good to unbottle this secret -- usually I just pretend I'm not that into music. But I can think of few things that allow me to see the Dharma like the second half of Manfred Mann's "Blinded by the Light": I mean consider this is a lyric: "Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the SUuuuuuuuuun... but Mamaaaaa... that's where the fun issssssss!" Check it out:



That's so true. What Jesus probably-didn't say is so true (Gospel of Thomas, #70):
If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.

7 comments:

fenhopper said...

4 songs on there i would put on a playlist.

6 songs just bore me. do nothing for me. i don't dislike them. i just don't 'get it' when they play.

does it matter which?

Casey said...

to whom?

Casey said...

It matters to me... like if your four are something like "Wayward Son," "Blinded by the Light," "Wheel in the Sky," and "Peace of Mind," then we're on the same page.

But if your four are Lonesome Loser, Fat Bottomed Girls, Sweet Dreams, and Lady, we've got some more things to iron out...

reques

fenhopper said...

you got 2 of them right.

carry on
wheel in the sky
sweet dreams
sweet child o' mine

Casey said...

You need to listen to "Blinded by the Light," man... the changes in that song are unbelievable (of course, I don't know ANYTHING about music). The way it starts and stops and gets almost accapella at times and, man... really? Not that one?

I'm glad we agree about Wheel in the Sky, tho'.

grotch

fenhopper said...

blinded by the light sounds like a commercial jingle to me. and those changes make it sound like an after-school special soundtrack.

now this part is important. i don't listen and say "i know why he likes it but i have better taste so i reject what he accepts." rather -- i think i say to myself "he's hearing something there that i don't hear. i'm not saying i want to hear it but if i did i would certainly like it."

Casey said...

Right -- I know you're saying that. You wouldn't put up with reading this blog if you weren't listening like that.

One of the biggest revelations in my life was when I moved from saying "I hate classical music" to saying "I wonder what's wrong with me that I don't like classical music?" It's not as if Mozart is the problem...

It's nice to be able to trust a big reputation sometimes, regardless of what the deconstructionists would say (in the name of Derrida, of course).