12.11.2008

Good News

"I am a skeptic... Global Warming has become a new religion." - Nobel Prize winner for Physics, Ivar Giaever.

“Since I am no longer affiliated with any organization nor receiving any funding, I can speak quite frankly….As a scientist I remain skeptical.” - Atmospheric Scientist Dr. Joanne Simpson

[Warming fears are the] “worst scientific scandal in the history…When people come to know what the truth is, they will feel deceived by science and scientists.” - UN IPCC Japanese Scientist Dr. Kiminori Itoh, an award-winning PhD environmental physical chemist

As the tide shifts, so do I...

See my earlier post calling for a Scientific Reformation -- seems my wish is being granted.

Now that there is a growing (international) body of scientists who are dissenting against the view that global warming is an immanent, man-made threat, I want to make two points:

1. I'm happy to hear it. That was getting reeeeeee-diculous.
2. I hope now more than ever that people will understand the grandeur of Nature, and that they will work to keep it clean and renewable and in balance. Fear is never as good a motivator as love.

For a long time, I've been a closet-environmentalist: "closet" because I didn't want to be associated with the current majority view that holds that we're all going to drown in a sea of melting ice in ten years if we don't elect Al Gore international president of Nature. But as much as anyone I know, I love hiking in the woods, swimming in Lake Michigan, or the ocean, riding my bike through the fields of Indiana, and so on (I almost got carried away there). I hope that someday young kids'll go confidently to the edge of the Wabash or the Catawba river and drink from their cupped hands for refreshment.

Environmentalist policies are expensive, and some concessions to GDP will probably have to be made -- but I hope we continue purusing these policies even if the age of maybe-we're-not-all-gonna-die is upon us.

2 comments:

fenhopper said...

i share your concluding stance of course.

but since skepticism is not an unwillingness to believe but a standard for belief i'm just as skeptical of the 'no global warming' crowd as i am of the rest.

Casey said...

Well, that's possible. I won't put up a fight about that position...

It's a matter of whether you think global warming is as probable as extraterrestrial life somewhere in this vast universe (which seems increasingly possible) or as probable as discovering Bigfoot...

That's a toughy, I suppose. I think of global warming as a Bigfoot type hallucination induced by sociol-political consciousness, just like UFOs. But there's room for disagreement here.