11.06.2008

Bhutan in the News (again!?)

I'm certainly as happy as anyone that the world likes America again: yesterday I told my wife that I was feeling "very American" -- it is a definite emotion for me, one I haven't felt much in a while.
Hmm... I can't quite find the right transition, for some reason; that national emblem of Bhutan will have to do. In any case, I thought somebody might get a kick out of the NPR story I heard this morning about Bhutan. Bhutan is one of my favorite countries, not only because it is practically the "least among us," but also because its last monarch instituted a policy that replaced the focus on Gross Domestic Product with (seriously) Gross Domestic Happiness.

I know I would be significantly happier if I "had to" wear a bathrobe to work every day.

No comments: