11.22.2008

Buddha "Fully Released" (again)

Since my XBox 360 joined forces with Netflix, I've been busy. I never regretted buying and XBox 360 instead of a Wii, but now I just feel sorry for Wii-people. I can watch as many movies as I want, basically for free.

Yesterday I watched a documentary about something you might remember: the 2001 destruction of the giant stone Buddhas in Bamiyan, Afghanistan. The statues were pre-Islamic, 1500 years old, and the Taliban didn't like them... the film is about the history of the statues and the region, etc.

I was telling my wife about the movie this morning and I got to describing how old and revered the statues were, and how the Taliban purposely tore them down -- my wife said, "Buddha would have loved that." She interrupted me just as I was about to say something like, "Isn't it a shame?" And I'm glad she did -- she's so right. Buddha would have loved the destruction of his image, just as he did the first time around so many moons earlier, when he "died." Here's a link to the movie. Here's a link to Buddha's "Fire Sermon." And here's a picture of the larger of the statues being blown to bits on March 21, 2001:


There's a cool video about all of this on YouTube, unrelated to the movie:

No comments: