11.03.2008

#44, The Mysterious Stranger

Look, people--sometimes you've gotta call an Ace an Ace:

Barack Obama's facebook page lists Toni Morrison's Song of Solomon, Herman Melville's Moby-Dick, The Bible, Lincolin's writings, and Ralph Waldo Emerson's "Self-Reliance" as our next president's favorite books. A near perfect list, in my humble opinion. I might suggest he add this one:

No. 44, The Mysterious Stranger, by Mark Twain. (For obvious reasons)

For his favorite music, Obama lists Bach (and specifies, "cello suites!"--yes!), Stevie Wonder (from my hometown, Saginaw, MI), and Miles, Coltrane, and Dylan.

His favorite TV: Sportscenter.

One of his interests: "loafing w/ kids."

In other words, what I assume, Obama assumes, and what Obama assumes, I shall assume.

Let's all go vote for this guy, and look for each other in line.

6 comments:

fenhopper said...

honestly? that's what gets you to speak up for the guy?

Casey said...

Yep. Honestly.

Casey said...

When I was writing my dissertation, I realized (about halfway through) that my interest in American Romantic literature had transformed into a kind of spiritual devotion -- not to the texts themselves, but to the "deep structures" of American romance... I don't want anything more in an elected official than someone who shares that deepest sense of life with me.

In some way, I suppose, I sympathize with the evangelical Christians who just want to elect an evangelical, no matter what policies he enunciates. But I don't want an evangelical; I want an American Romantic.

Obama's that. And if my hunch is right, that means he'll always make good decisions as unforseen circumstances arise.

fenhopper said...

Hmm. But isn't that a lot of faith in the correlation between object and idea?

What if he watches Sportscenter because he thinks Stuart Scott is a good sportscaster? I don't think I could forgive that.

Monica said...

Casey=Obama, Obama=Casey

Casey said...

Hahaha...

We are large, we contain multitudes.